Diesel outboard benefits

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What are the benefits of a diesel outboard?
What are the benefits of a diesel outboard?
Does anyone actually have any experience with either of these manufacturers? I’ve talked to both at shows since 2018 and all I hear is they’re coming. Both OXE and Cox claim to be offering a 300 Hp by mid-year 2020 (now) but I can’t find anyone that actually has good experience with either.

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

How is Cox going to keep a lower unit together with a 300 Hp diesel when MerCruiser, Volvo Penta and Yanmar are less than ideal on the I/O’s? I like to simplicity of the belt drive with OXE but I’ve watched their stock price since they went public 2 years ago and they don’t look to be hitting it out of the park. I do chartering and accumulate about 500 hours/yr so I think I can get payback on fuel economy but I’m nervous about taking a risk with such an unknown. I’d rather let someone else provide it before I take such a big chance. Thoughts?
Does anyone actually have any experience with either of these manufacturers? I’ve talked to both at shows since 2018 and all I hear is they’re coming. Both OXE and Cox claim to be offering a 300 Hp by mid-year 2020 (now) but I can’t find anyone that actually has good experience with either.

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

How is Cox going to keep a lower unit together with a 300 Hp diesel when MerCruiser, Volvo Penta and Yanmar are less than ideal on the I/O’s? I like to simplicity of the belt drive with OXE but I’ve watched their stock price since they went public 2 years ago and they don’t look to be hitting it out of the park. I do chartering and accumulate about 500 hours/yr so I think I can get payback on fuel economy but I’m nervous about taking a risk with such an unknown. I’d rather let someone else provide it before I take such a big chance. Thoughts?
(07-15-2020, 12:33 AM)fishfry1968 Wrote: Does anyone actually have any experience with either of these manufacturers? I’ve talked to both at shows since 2018 and all I hear is they’re coming. Both OXE and Cox claim to be offering a 300 Hp by mid-year 2020 (now) but I can’t find anyone that actually has good experience with either.

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

I agree, there has been a lot of talk about them coming and not much has materialised.  I did recently see that both companies delivered their first 300Hp outboards so maybe they are getting some traction...

From what I can see there are two belt systems in the Oxe, but how often do the belts have to be replaced?
(07-15-2020, 12:33 AM)fishfry1968 Wrote: Does anyone actually have any experience with either of these manufacturers? I’ve talked to both at shows since 2018 and all I hear is they’re coming. Both OXE and Cox claim to be offering a 300 Hp by mid-year 2020 (now) but I can’t find anyone that actually has good experience with either.

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

I agree, there has been a lot of talk about them coming and not much has materialised.  I did recently see that both companies delivered their first 300Hp outboards so maybe they are getting some traction...

From what I can see there are two belt systems in the Oxe, but how often do the belts have to be replaced?
(07-17-2020, 03:58 AM)Willzyx Wrote:

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

I like many have kept an eye on both companies for sometime. So many delays and promised start dates not met. Suggest this is more complex than they BOTH anticipated. Which also makes me wonder how robust they will be; assuming they have done a decent amount of testing, so maybe that's the cause of the delays?

Oxe, I like the look of the belt system too, but yes, how long will they last. And surely they are not going to transfer power as efficiently. Need to try one to see.
(07-17-2020, 03:58 AM)Willzyx Wrote:

www.coxmarine.com

www.oxe-diesel.com

I like many have kept an eye on both companies for sometime. So many delays and promised start dates not met. Suggest this is more complex than they BOTH anticipated. Which also makes me wonder how robust they will be; assuming they have done a decent amount of testing, so maybe that's the cause of the delays?

Oxe, I like the look of the belt system too, but yes, how long will they last. And surely they are not going to transfer power as efficiently. Need to try one to see.
@willzyx can you point me to the articles where they’ve released product? I’m curious if its for customer trials or for the general public.

@HarleyD that makes sense that it’s more complex than they planned. @Willzyx posted that Cox was now a 4 stroke diesel so the complete change of engine platforms mid-stream would make one believe they’re designing on the fly. I’m also intrigued by the belt drive since it’s a totally new approach. There was a company in the U.S. called GIL Marine that was trying to develop a belt driven sterndrive back in the 90’s. I wonder if this is the same technology?
@willzyx can you point me to the articles where they’ve released product? I’m curious if its for customer trials or for the general public.

@HarleyD that makes sense that it’s more complex than they planned. @Willzyx posted that Cox was now a 4 stroke diesel so the complete change of engine platforms mid-stream would make one believe they’re designing on the fly. I’m also intrigued by the belt drive since it’s a totally new approach. There was a company in the U.S. called GIL Marine that was trying to develop a belt driven sterndrive back in the 90’s. I wonder if this is the same technology?
(07-13-2020, 08:43 AM)devmin Wrote: What are the benefits of a diesel outboard?

Tier III emissions compliance is is huge compared to ALL of the petrol outboard products.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tier III emissions compliance is is huge compared to ALL of the petrol outboard products.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-18-2020, 05:28 PM)Captain Hook Wrote:

Those carbon figures are incredible!  Cool
I wonder if the improvements/comparative reductions on CO and CO2 increase as horsepower goes up?
(07-18-2020, 05:28 PM)Captain Hook Wrote:

Those carbon figures are incredible!  Cool
I wonder if the improvements/comparative reductions on CO and CO2 increase as horsepower goes up?
When I think of BMW I think more on the line of performance automotive vs durable commercial products. Just sayin.... Cool

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/industry-...wer-by-bmw
When I think of BMW I think more on the line of performance automotive vs durable commercial products. Just sayin.... Cool

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/industry-...wer-by-bmw
    I'm not so sure about these benefits I keep seeing on these diesel outboards. Comparing 39% fuel savings against a 150 Hp 2 stroke is not a like for like comparison. You're talking about a diesel motor that weighs more than a 350 Hp 4 stroke petrol outboard. A normal boater will have to run 1,000 hours a year and for several years to ever pay back a motor that costs twice as much to purchase.
    I'm not so sure about these benefits I keep seeing on these diesel outboards. Comparing 39% fuel savings against a 150 Hp 2 stroke is not a like for like comparison. You're talking about a diesel motor that weighs more than a 350 Hp 4 stroke petrol outboard. A normal boater will have to run 1,000 hours a year and for several years to ever pay back a motor that costs twice as much to purchase.
(08-01-2020, 10:39 PM)TwisterShox Wrote: I'm not so sure about these benefits I keep seeing on these diesel outboards. Comparing 39% fuel savings against a 150 Hp 2 stroke is not a like for like comparison. You're talking about a diesel motor that weighs more than a 350 Hp 4 stroke petrol outboard. A normal boater will have to run 1,000 hours a year and for several years to ever pay back a motor that costs twice as much to purchase.

My take is that it’s more of a commercial product thats able to generate enough hours to achieve the payback. There seems to be a few questionable benefits, but it appears for the right application there could be a good fit. They definitely aren’t aiming for the average boater using a stimulus check to pay for the fuel.
(08-01-2020, 10:39 PM)TwisterShox Wrote: I'm not so sure about these benefits I keep seeing on these diesel outboards. Comparing 39% fuel savings against a 150 Hp 2 stroke is not a like for like comparison. You're talking about a diesel motor that weighs more than a 350 Hp 4 stroke petrol outboard. A normal boater will have to run 1,000 hours a year and for several years to ever pay back a motor that costs twice as much to purchase.

My take is that it’s more of a commercial product thats able to generate enough hours to achieve the payback. There seems to be a few questionable benefits, but it appears for the right application there could be a good fit. They definitely aren’t aiming for the average boater using a stimulus check to pay for the fuel.