Cox Powertrain 300 Hp Outboard

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Although the first of its kind, as the most powerful diesel outboard brought to the market, the CXO300 has been developed to be compatible with existing industry standards – making it as easy to install on a wide range of vessels as any gasoline outboard.
Although the first of its kind, as the most powerful diesel outboard brought to the market, the CXO300 has been developed to be compatible with existing industry standards – making it as easy to install on a wide range of vessels as any gasoline outboard.
I saw one at the Miami boat show last year. I think it's a 2 stroke diesel and weighs something like 650 lbs. You could roll coal with that dude!!
I saw one at the Miami boat show last year. I think it's a 2 stroke diesel and weighs something like 650 lbs. You could roll coal with that dude!!
(07-14-2020, 06:32 PM)fishfry1968 Wrote: I saw one at the Miami boat show last year. I think it's a 2 stroke diesel and weighs something like 650 lbs. You could roll coal with that dude!!

I think it used to be a 2 stroke, but now they are saying it is a V8 4 stroke diesel and 880lb.  Loads of grunt though!
(07-14-2020, 06:32 PM)fishfry1968 Wrote: I saw one at the Miami boat show last year. I think it's a 2 stroke diesel and weighs something like 650 lbs. You could roll coal with that dude!!

I think it used to be a 2 stroke, but now they are saying it is a V8 4 stroke diesel and 880lb.  Loads of grunt though!
Thanks @willzyx I need to go back and read the latest product spec it seems. 880 Lb is getting up close in weight to the Yamaha XTO but I bet the torque of a V8 diesel would be really good.
Thanks @willzyx I need to go back and read the latest product spec it seems. 880 Lb is getting up close in weight to the Yamaha XTO but I bet the torque of a V8 diesel would be really good.
Does anyone know how much this motors cost? I've seen range between $50,000 USD and $57,000 USD + controls. I can buy a 300 Hp outboard from Mercury or Yamah for under $30,000 USD. This a lot less
Does anyone know how much this motors cost? I've seen range between $50,000 USD and $57,000 USD + controls. I can buy a 300 Hp outboard from Mercury or Yamah for under $30,000 USD. This a lot less
I contacted a dealer in Louisiana and they said $56k plus the controls. They had several options for steering (basically SeaStar systems) but they also had a dealer sea trial charge as well. They mentioned the price would go up a few months after production so I'd imagine you'd be looking at $60k by late 2020. Undecided  Angry
I contacted a dealer in Louisiana and they said $56k plus the controls. They had several options for steering (basically SeaStar systems) but they also had a dealer sea trial charge as well. They mentioned the price would go up a few months after production so I'd imagine you'd be looking at $60k by late 2020. Undecided  Angry
I noticed on Twitter last week that the Cox engines are showing up in FL and Singapore first. I keep getting mixed signals when I talk to the dealer in TX. No way I’d go out on the limb and take a $70k chance on this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I noticed on Twitter last week that the Cox engines are showing up in FL and Singapore first. I keep getting mixed signals when I talk to the dealer in TX. No way I’d go out on the limb and take a $70k chance on this.

(08-09-2020, 10:48 AM)TwisterShox Wrote: I noticed on Twitter last week that the Cox engines are showing up in FL and Singapore first. I keep getting mixed signals when I talk to the dealer in TX. No way I’d go out on the limb and take a $70k chance on this.

I went to the Workboat show in New Orleans last year and spoke to the distributor from Louisiana. They were saying the price would be closer to $50k. I paid $300 to go to a 1 hour seminar there that discussed the service costs and benefits for both the OXE and the Cox outboards. The OXE guy spoke for about 30 min's then the Cox guy got up for 5 minutes and that was it. I wasn't very impressed.
(08-09-2020, 10:48 AM)TwisterShox Wrote: I noticed on Twitter last week that the Cox engines are showing up in FL and Singapore first. I keep getting mixed signals when I talk to the dealer in TX. No way I’d go out on the limb and take a $70k chance on this.

I went to the Workboat show in New Orleans last year and spoke to the distributor from Louisiana. They were saying the price would be closer to $50k. I paid $300 to go to a 1 hour seminar there that discussed the service costs and benefits for both the OXE and the Cox outboards. The OXE guy spoke for about 30 min's then the Cox guy got up for 5 minutes and that was it. I wasn't very impressed.
So I have to question all the different information I’ve recently seen between OXE and Cox. Cox says they’re Tier 3 approved “light duty” commercial, but the OXE distributor Proteum says the OXE is “heavy duty” commercial rated. How is the V6 rated more durable than a V8 at the same power and rpm? Also, OXE claims 40% fuel savings vs 25% for Cox which seems questionable for engines operating at the same power and same rpm???
So I have to question all the different information I’ve recently seen between OXE and Cox. Cox says they’re Tier 3 approved “light duty” commercial, but the OXE distributor Proteum says the OXE is “heavy duty” commercial rated. How is the V6 rated more durable than a V8 at the same power and rpm? Also, OXE claims 40% fuel savings vs 25% for Cox which seems questionable for engines operating at the same power and same rpm???
@fishfry1968 I would refer you to reach out and contact both manufacturers www.coxmarine.com and www.oxemarine.com. The EPA has very specific regulatory requirements the manufacturers have to comply with to achieve certification. You’ll need to ask them to clarify what they mean by commercial and then heavy duty vs light duty. See image below.

@fishfry1968 I would refer you to reach out and contact both manufacturers www.coxmarine.com and www.oxemarine.com. The EPA has very specific regulatory requirements the manufacturers have to comply with to achieve certification. You’ll need to ask them to clarify what they mean by commercial and then heavy duty vs light duty. See image below.